Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sailboat Quilt


This was my first "commissioned" quilt.  I designed this with the help of a good friend who wanted me to make something for her son's "big boy" bed.


I used EQ to design and plan it out.  The quilt is machine pieced and quilted.  I did all of the piecing.  Then we took it to someone I know who does machine quilting on a longarm machine, and she did all the quilting.  It was completed in February, 2011.


Here is the label -- a fish that I hand appliqued on the back.  (I chose not to show a close-up photo here to protect the privacy of my friend's name), which is on the label.


While making this quilt, I documented my progress with photographs.  This is the first quilt that I have done that with.  I currently have two other projects I am working on -- a hexagon quilt and a toddler size quilt for my son.  I am doing photo documentation of those projects as well.  I really like being able to view the photos and see the progress that is being made.
Here are some photos of the start-to-finish process of making this quilt.  Enjoy!

My EQ Print-Out of the Design
 Construction of Sailboat Blocks
Cutting & Piecing the Sailboat Blocks
Organizing the Completed Sailboat Blocks
Laying Out the Blocks
With Sashing & Borders Attached
Close-up of Quilting Design
Quilting Design, as seen from the back
The Lucky Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment