Saturday, October 1, 2011

Beginning The Love Dare

So, I started reading this book the other day called The Love Dare by Stephen & Alex Kendrick.  Here is the synopsis from the back cover:

"The Love Dare is a 40-day challenge for husbands and wives to understand and practice unconditional love.  Whether your marriage is hanging by a thread or healthy and strong, The Love Dare is a journey you need to take.  It's time to learn the keys to finding true intimacy and developing a dynamic marriage.  Take the dare!"

The book was published in 2008, but I first learned about it earlier this year while watching the movie "Fireproof" when it was broadcast on the Lifetime channel.  I don't typically watch movies on that channel, but I had heard of the movie (from the TLC show "19 Kids & Counting") and recognized it as I was channel surfing one evening.  It was about half-way through when I came across it, and I have still never actually seen the entire movie.  I did, however, see enough to peek my interest in the book featured in the movie.  I really wanted to know what was in that book!

So, I went online to our town library's web site to see if I couldn't get my hands on a copy.  No luck.  I tried the next closest library in another town.  No luck again.  Next I went to my favorite site for obtaining free books -- Paperback Swap!  It wasn't available, but I put the title on my "wish list" and waited.  That was several months ago.  Last week, I received a notification that the book was on its way to me!

On Tuesday evening I began reading the book.  It is now Saturday, and I have still not gotten past Day 1 (page 5).  I decided that I am going to try and do what the book says and not read ahead.  It has been three days and I still do not feel that I have completed Day 1's assignment.  I decided that for each day, I will not move on to the next Day until I feel I have satisfactorily completed the previous Day's assignment.  Unfortunately, at the rate I'm going, it's going to take about 160 days to get through this book!

Curious about Day 1's assignment?  I'm going to share it here, but I should also say that for this particular dare, I decided not only to do it with my husband but my children as well.  Since I spend ALL day, every day with my children, that's probably why it's taking me a while to get this one checked off my list.

"For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all.  If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything.  It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret."

So, in other words, I must be patient and hold my words in.  That is no easy task for me!  Hence, why I'm still working on it four days later....

No comments:

Post a Comment