Friday, January 6, 2012

Advent Calendar: Early or Late?


Depending on how you look at this, I am either very late or extremely early.  I just finished making an Advent calendar for my family.  I found this idea Thanksgiving weekend, but I pretty much knew from the start, that there was no way I would have the time to put it all together by December 1st.  So, I went ahead and began the project anyway in the hope that I could at least work on it while the Christmas spirit was still in our house and then tuck it away with the holiday decorations for next year (which, incidentally, is now THIS year).


I can't wait to fill these little pockets full of surprises for my little ones!  By the way, these pockets are just the right size for a Ghirardelli chocolate square!  I think some round peppermint candies would also fit in them nicely.  

Another idea that I really like is to put notes in some (or maybe all) of the pockets.  Each note can have an idea of a Christmas-related activity to complete as a family -- such as bake cookies, make holiday greeting cards, or go look at Christmas lights, etc.  At the bottom of this post, I have included a list of web sites I came across that have ideas to use just for this purpose.  Next Christmas should be lots of fun!

I already took down our Christmas decorations from the mantle, but you at least get the idea here.

And, if you're interested, here is another Advent calendar idea that I contemplated making.  It's a Christmas tree design with pockets underneath the tree.  Really sweet!

Web pages with more Advent calendar ideas to inspire you:

Code Name: Mama
Skip to My Lou
Secret Mommy


1 comment:

  1. That looks beautiful, Janine. I really like the idea of putting notes with different activities that you can do with the kids.

    ReplyDelete