Friday, April 8, 2011

James' ABC Quilt


Here is the quilt that I made for my son before he was born. I actually finished it the day before he was born. I think I knew he would wait to come into the world until his quilt was done!

The original pattern for this was actually meant to be a miniature quilt. From the time I purchased the book it is in, I planned that someday I would make it for my first child. Another reason this was a good choice was because we chose to wait to find out the baby's gender, so I thought this quilt would work for either a boy or a girl.

I took the letter patterns and enlarged them to the size I wanted on my copier. Each block is about 5 1/2" square. The entire quilt measures 38" x 45". In the original quilt, the letters are fused onto the fabric squares and then a blanket stitch is done around them to finish them off. I chose to use hand applique for my letters and fore-go the blanket stitch.





A lot of planning went into the color/pattern selection for this quilt. I had to carefully plan the color placement, so that I didn't end up with three blue letters right next to each other or two similar background colors next to each other.

I used 60 different fabrics in the center portion of this quilt -- 30 for the letters and hearts and 30 more for the background squares. The borders are repeat fabrics. I should also add that I did NOT purchase any of these fabrics specifically for this quilt. They were all fabrics that I already had in my stash. I made a point of making this quilt without purchasing anything except the backing and binding fabrics and the batting.


Here's the bottom half....and there's James behind his quilt!


I love these ladybugs and daisies -- one of my favorite fabrics! I quilted this connecting hearts design in the borders of the quilt. It was a stencil that I bought.


Here is how the back looks. I quilted around each letter and square, as well as the heart border.


Believe it or not, this is the same quilt as the last pic, I don't know why the previous one looks so green. The actual color is closer to what this looks like here.

The Letter "R" in Reverse



And, of course, the label. He sleeps with this quilt every night!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful quilt! I'm about to make a 3rd scrap happy alhpa just like this from a mag. pattern. I always use a buttonhole embroidery stitch around the edges of each letter. I really like your personalization!

    ReplyDelete