Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Daisy Wall Hanging

Everything's Coming Up Daisies, 2000

I called this one "Everything's Coming Up Daisies."  I'm not exactly sure when I started this, but I finished it in 2000.  The overall size of this is 26 1/2" x 38."  This actually started out as a quilt kit that I purchased at a quilt show -- "Buffalo Flowers" by P & B Textiles.  It came with the fabrics seen here on the front and a pattern.  I didn't care for the shape of the flower heads in the original pattern, so I changed it to a daisy design instead.  I also added some three-dimensional elements to my quilt which are not part of the original design.

This entire quilt is hand sewn.  I believe this is also the first quilt in which I used hand applique.  It was after making this quilt that I realized how much I enjoyed doing handwork.  I have since found ways to incorporate handwork into many of my other projects.

What really appealed to me about this design was the bright and cheery fabrics used.  Here you can see some of the quilting I did around each flower.  I used black thread for the quilting.  I had an idea to use buttons for the flower centers, but once I began sewing the flower petals, I felt that it was a little too bulky to add the buttons.

Here is a close-up of the applique and the quilting.

Here is a three-dimensional flower.  I added a few of these to give the quilt a little something more.

When I originally made this, I didn't realize the leaves and petals were going to droop so much.  I've been meaning to tack these back up with a few stitches, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

This color combination is still one of my favorites!

Another detail picture.

The binding is pieced using scraps from the flower blocks.  This element is one that I maintained from the original design.  

And here is how it looks from the back!

I hope you have enjoyed reading about another one of my quilts!  Feel free to let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment